Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Marrriage Rhythm

A very cool thing happened Sunday that I just had to blog about. As I was wrapping up the sermon from Mark 10:15, I asked if anyone would like to surrender their life to Christ. Numerous hands went up, two of which were a couple.

I thought to myself, “how cool is this, a man and his wife both surrendering their life to Christ in the same service, what a transformation that home is going to experience.” I couldn’t tell who went first, but it was definitely a decision they made together, husband and wife, to follow Jesus; isn’t that awesome! Later I thought about the only account I know of in the Bible where a couple both came to Christ, Priscilla and Aquila in Acts 18, and the incredible things that God did through that couple as they both surrendered their lives to Christ and served him as a couple.

Then as I was greeting people at the end, another couple came up to me and told me they had both raised their hands way in the back, but here’s the kicker: both of them had their heads bowed and neither one knew at the time that the other was raising their hand! The Holy Spirit was working in each of their hearts independently of each other; they responded in obedience to God, and to their surprise both of them came to Christ in the same moment!

I got thinking about that later. I believe the Holy Spirit is working in each of our lives as individuals but also (for those who are married,) as couples and I wonder how many times couples expect that, recognize that and cooperate with the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit is the Spirit of unity and He is seeking to unify us with the Father, the Son and with each other. If you are married, I invite you to ask God what is He doing in your marriage as a couple? What's your next step as a couple?

May we be open to everything the Holy Spirit wants to do in our own lives, in our marriages, in our families, in our church and in our world. When the Holy Spirit prompts us, may we respond in obedience. And may those who are married move in the rhythm of the Spirit in such a way that we experience increasing levels of unity as a couple.

2 comments:

  1. This is so exciting to me. In a time when Christ Centered Marriages are so underfire, the Holy Spirit is alive and breathing new life into fertile hearts ready to receive!!! This is such a special time to not only Serve Christ but serve Him in our Marriages. Jesus is Alive and what an honor it is that God looks in to our small lives and says " your life, your marriage is so important to me." I am so excited to serve Him in my life and with my marriage!
    Shannon Adkins.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Jim,

    This is my first time coming to your church website and finding this blog...Andrea posted a link to your church on her facebook to follow along with the mission trip and my internet travels brought me here to your blog spot. I loved reading this post by you about "marriage rhythm" Jim and I are getting ready to celebrate 13 years of marriage and I will be forever grateful to you for helping us build a solid foundation to grow our marriage on. We are best friends and love being married Christians. Thank you for your part in helping us get started!

    Love,

    Donnalee Stevens

    ReplyDelete